Phillips 66 Privacy Statement
Effective Date: July 13, 2022
Phillips 66 Company is committed to protecting your privacy. This Privacy Statement provides information regarding how we treat your personal data collected, and your associated rights when using websites, platforms, and other services that link to this Privacy Statement, or when purchasing products from, conducting business with, or otherwise interacting with a company or companies within the Phillips 66 group of companies (“Phillips 66”, “we”, “us”, “our”).
If you reside in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or the United Kingdom, please visit the relevant notices to find out how we process your information.
Specifically, this Privacy Statement describes how Phillips 66 collects, uses, and shares your personal data when you interact with us online, including social media, or offline (collectively, our “Services”).
What Personal Data Does Phillips 66 Collect?
Phillips 66 may collect the following types of personal data.
- Contact information, such as name, email address, mailing address, and telephone number.
- Account information, such as display/username and account number that you use when establishing an account with us.
- Financial information, such as bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, bank or customer account information, and in connection with credit requests, social security number or other national/tax identification number.
- Biographic and demographic information, such as date of birth, employment information, nationality, and country of residence,
- Usage data, such as browsing activity, IP address, search history, and information about your interactions with our Services.
- Location information from your mobile device or computer that will allow us, for instance, to assist you in finding one of our branded station locations.
- Inferences drawn from other personal data to better understand your preferences.
- Other information you provide, such as job applicant data, feedback, purchase history, contest entry information, and inquiries about our products and Services.
How Does Phillips 66 Collect Personal Data?
Phillips 66 collects personal data online and offline.
- Categories of Data You Provide to Us or Our Service Providers. We may collect personal data that you provide to us when you use our Services, such as contact information, inquiries about our products and Services, email preferences, contest entry and event registration, and feedback. We may also collect information you provide to us when you make a purchase with us, including financial information, so we can process and fulfill your order.
- Personal Data Collected Automatically by Us or Our Service Providers. Phillips 66 collects data through our website and mobile application automatically from devices you use to connect to our Services. For more information see the Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Tracking Section below.
- Personal Data We Collect About You from Public Sources and Third Parties. If you use a third-party login to create an account with us or otherwise link to us via a third-party service, we may receive information about you from the third party (subject to your privacy settings on those third-party services), such as the above-listed identifiers and demographic information, your interests, and publicly observed data (for example, from social media websites or online activity).
We may draw inferences from any of the categories of data above described to help us tailor our communications to you and to improve our services. From time to time, we may also use or augment the personal data we have about you obtained from other sources, such as public databases, social media platforms and other third parties. We may also combine information we get from a third-party with information we already have, and we may combine information that we have collected offline with information we collect online.
Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Tracking
Our site(s) may also contain web beacons, which are small, transparent image files. Web beacons allow us to count the number of users who have visited pages of our site(s). We may include web beacons in promotional email messages or newsletters in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon, including whether the recipient clicked on a link in the email or forwarded the email to another person.
Here are some of the types of personal data collected when visiting our website and mobile application:
- Log data, such as your IP address, browser settings, the date of your visit, and how you used the website or mobile application.
- Cookie data, which is used to record log data
- Social media plugins, that enable you to share information with others (e.g., the Facebook “like” button) and that allows us to recognize individuals who have previously visited our websites if you are logged into the social media website while browsing our website.
- Device information, such as your location, what operating system you are using, device settings, and unique device identifiers.
Tracking Options and “Do Not Track” Signals
Our Use of Personal Data
We use your personal data for the following purposes.
- Customer Service. We use personal data to answer your questions and to respond to your requests made through our websites, call centers, applications, or through third-party websites (including social media).
- Commercial. We use personal data to deliver services or to execute transactions you request, such as concluding and executing agreements with customers, suppliers, and business partners; recording and settling services, products, and materials to and from a Phillip 66 company; and facilitating use of our websites and applications.
- Improve/Develop Products or Services (including websites and applications). We use your personal data to develop or improve Phillips 66 or our branded stations’ products or services; to determine how to best provide services to you and to manage your accounts; and to improve our websites and applications to make them easier to use.
- Marketing, Tailored Content, and Promotions. We may use your personal data for the development, execution, and analysis of market surveys and marketing strategies to better understand our, and our branded stations’, customers and users of our websites or applications. Specifically, we may use your personal data to provide you with tailored content, send you advertisements and promotional materials, analyze the effectiveness of advertisements and promotional materials, provide you with updates on new features or offers, conduct contests offered by us or our branded stations, and to help us determine whether you may be interested in new products or Services. If you no longer wish to receive promotional marketing materials from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving such materials. You may unsubscribe from receiving marketing or other commercial emails from Phillips 66 by following the instructions included in the email and we will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving such communications, we retain the right to send you non-marketing communications (such as information about a transaction with us).
- Account management and verification. We may use your personal data to manage your account with us, and to send text, SMS, or push notifications to your mobile device with your prior knowledge and consent.
- Fraud and security. We use your personal data to protect the security and integrity of our services and our business, as well as to safeguard your personal data. We may also use your personal data to manage fraud and security risk, including detecting and preventing fraud or criminal activity if you use our mobile payment function.
- Comply with law. We may use your personal data to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and to defend ourselves in litigation and investigations.
We may aggregate, anonymize and/or de-identify data we collect about customers and site visitors and use it for any purpose, including product and service development and improvement activities.
With Whom We Share Your Personal Data
We may share your personal data within the Phillips 66 group of companies. We may also share personal data with:
- Service Providers. We disclose your personal data to our vendor, contractors, and service providers for legitimate business purposes to provide services to us or on our behalf, such as data hosting, cloud services, sending out information and communications, processing transactions, analyzing data, technical support, and other business and professional services. We provide these companies with only those elements of personal data they need to provide their services to us.
- Third Parties to Process Transactions. We may also disclose personal data in connection with certain transactions, such as to financial institutions, government entities, and shipping companies or postal services involved in fulfilling transactions, or to other third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal data in connection with products or services we provide to you.
- Required Disclosures. We may disclose your personal data if required to do so by law or in our good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with legal requirements or with legal process served on us, and to protect our or others’ rights, property, or safety.
We do not sell personal data or transfer personal data to third parties to use for their own benefit.
Operating Globally and International Transfers
We may transfer personal data to and store personal data in countries other than the country where it was collected or where you accessed our websites or applications. Those countries may have different data privacy and protection laws than the countries from which the personal data was collected or from which you accessed our websites or applications. To the extent required by applicable law, we will take measures to protect personal data so transferred or stored. For example, we implement Standard Contractual Clauses approved by the European Commission and use similar contractual obligations to comply with applicable laws of other jurisdictions. By choosing to use our services, including our websites and applications, and submitting personal data to us, you consent to the transfer of such personal data outside of your country of residence.
Personal Data Retention
To the extent permitted by applicable law and in accordance with the provisions of this Privacy Statement, we keep personal data for so long as (1) it is needed for the purpose for which we obtained it originally, or (2) we have another lawful basis for retaining it beyond the purpose for which it was originally obtained.
We use technical, administrative, and procedural measures in an attempt to safeguard your personal data from unauthorized access or use. No such measure is ever 100% effective though, so we do not guarantee that your personal data will be secure from theft, loss, or unauthorized access or use, and we make no representation as to the reasonableness, efficacy, or appropriateness of the measures we use to safeguard such data.
We use, and we require our service providers to use, industry standard security measures for securing and protecting personal data, including without limitation encrypting data in transit and at rest, as well as limiting access to personal data on a least privilege basis (i.e., giving each user access only to personal data needed to perform their specific job duties).
Our websites and applications may contain links to other websites, including those of other companies, organizations, and publications. These websites operate independently from our websites and applications, and we do not control and are not responsible for the content, security, or data privacy practices used by other entities. You should review the privacy statements of those websites to determine how they protect and use your personal data.
Our services, including our websites and applications, are not directed to children under 16 years of age and we do not knowingly collect any personal data from children under 16. If we learn that we collected the personal data of a child under the age of 16, we will use reasonable efforts to delete such information from our systems promptly.
Depending upon the laws applicable where you reside, you may have any or all the following rights. Residents of California have the following rights.
- Know the categories and/or specific pieces of personal data collected about you, including whether your personal data is disclosed, and with whom your personal data was shared
- Access a copy of the personal data we retain about you
- Request deletion of your personal data
Phillips 66 will verify your identity in connection with any of the above requests. There may be situations where we are unable to grant your request, such as if we cannot verify your identity or if we need to retain the information to process an order you have placed. We will not restrict or deny you access to our Services based on the choices and requests you make in connection with your personal data. However, please note that certain choices may affect our ability to deliver our Services.
To exercise any of your applicable rights, you may submit a request through our webform or call us at 1.800.527.5476.
Our Response Process
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding our receipt of the verifiable request. If applicable, our response will explain the reasons we cannot comply with your request. For access requests, we will select a format to provide your personal data that is readily usable and should allow you to transmit the personal data without hindrance.
We will not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine your request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Changes to Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Statement at any time at our discretion and will review and update it as may be necessary but will do so at least annually. When we do, we will revise the effective date at the top of this Privacy Statement. Please revisit this page periodically to become aware of the most recent privacy terms; your use of our services linked to this Privacy Statement after such changes have been posted constitutes your agreement to such terms.
If you have questions regarding this Privacy Statement or our handling of personal data, you may contact us at phillips66.com/contact.